- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Remove core from the cabbage. Place cabbage in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; after about 3 minutes, outer leaves should be tender enough to remove. Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until leaves are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Remove the tough center stalk from each leaf; reserve extra leaves and line a large baking dish with them. (If leaves for rolling are too brittle, return to boiling water for 1-2 minutes.)
- Combine meat, rice, onion, egg and seasonings. Place about 2 tablespoons of meat mixture on each cabbage leaf. Roll toward the stalk, tucking in sides. Place rolls, seam side down, in a baking dish.
- Combine sauce ingredients; pour over rolls. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Cabbage Rolls in Country Ground Beef 1993, p57
Reviews for Cabbage Rolls with Tomato Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 8, 2009
"I am looking for a recipe for the crockpot was used for cabbage rolls. You some how layered ingredients and that was that. I lost my copy and am interested in any suggestions anyone has. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks in advance"