- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium head cabbage (2 pounds), shredded
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in one can of tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in rice and bacon; heat through. Remove from heat.
- Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining cabbage. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cabbage Roll Casserole
Sort By :
"Excellent recipe! Easy to make! Extremely wonderful!"
"We thought this was really good. I used one can of tomato sauce and one can of diced tomatoes. Was a little dry and will use more next time. I used brown rice. I shredded the cabbage and cooked for 55 minutes before adding cheese. All the cabbage cooked just fine. I did not add cayenne pepper. Had enough for a smaller 2nd casserole that I gave to my sister. She and her husband loved it! I will recommend this recipe."
"WONDERFUL Recipe! I didn't add cayenne (don't do spicy!) I think just the pepper was enough. A keeper for sure!"
"Great "cheater" recipe!. Tastes just like cabbage rolls without the effort! Cayenne pepper was a bit strong for our tastes. Next time I will reduce the amount by half. and add more cabbage because you can never have too much cabbage. Reheats beautifully, too."
"Excellent recipe. A little bland on first day, but flavor improved by 2nd day.I used 2 ready to eat tomato soups instead of tomato sauce.Will make it again ."