- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium head cabbage (2 pounds), shredded
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in one can of tomato sauce and next six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in rice and bacon; remove from heat.
- Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining cabbage. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with coarsely ground pepper. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cabbage Roll Casserole
"This is a delicious way to get the same taste as traditional cabbage rolls, but a lot easier. I only used 1 pound of ground beef and I substituted 1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes for one of the cans of tomato sauce. It did take a good hour to get the cabbage soft (I had chopped it rather than shred it). The bacon adds a nice flavor! The grandkids liked it and my son-in-law took seconds - always a sign of a good recipe!"
"Delicious flavour, but to all who make this dish, please be advised that it takes at least 2 hours to fully cook the cabbage in this dish. Other than that the dish is awesome."
"I did not have enough shredded cabbage, so I used cabbage leaves on the bottom of the dish, and then layered the rest as directed. I would recommend using cabbage leaves instead of shredded cabbage. I could not taste any cabbage except the whole leaves I had on the bottom. The meat and rice mixture was very delicious, and it was easier to assemble than cabbage rolls."
"It was so nice to have cabbage rolls without all the work. I will definitely make this again since it's so simple."
"Easy and tasty!"
"Made this and used the prepackaged shredded "cole slaw" cabbage! That added carrots and purple cabbage and colors! Very, very good!!! Easy and fast! (I used ground beef that I cooked ahead and put back in the freezer for fast dinner nights, so just had to assemble all and bake while relaxing. Excellent dinner, will definitely make again."
"Made this in my slow cooker. Sooo good. Loved by all. Thanks so much for the idea. 5 *"
"Delicious casserole with all the flavors of stuffed cabbage rolls. I had to drastically back on the ingredients to make it for 4 servings but the flavor was great. I flavored the cooked beef with some powdered beef bouillon, and used the cayenne pepper...not at all bland. I did cut way back on the rice using only 1/2cup for the four servings. Will make again."
"It tastes just like my grandmother's cabbage rolls without all the work. My husband and I loved this and I've shared this recipe with all my sisters. It was perfect for St. Patrick's Day."
"Bland and unappealing...don't make this again...that's what my family told me after I made this recipe."