- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium head cabbage (2 pounds), shredded
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in one can of tomato sauce and next six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in rice and bacon; remove from heat.
- Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining cabbage. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with coarsely ground pepper. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cabbage Roll Casserole
"This recipe is awful. The spices are overpowering. This is very disappointing. I would not recommend this recipe . It does not live up to the taste of actual cabbage rolls. I threw it all out."
"Why is there no print button on this recipe?"
"navy1015 if you buy Minute Rice brand rice, that doesn't have to be cooked. All you do is take it right from the box, measure it, and add it to the recipe. Good luck with your cooking and I also would like to Thank You for your service."
"I made this and we loved it! I used all diced tomatoes. It was delicious! Will definitely makeagain."
"Navy1015 I have made this casserole without cooked rice, and it is still good.Thank you for your service :)"
"I'm a widower and would like to know how this would be if I omit the cooked rice. Thanks in advance."
"I just made this, and it's fantastic! I goofed when I halved the recipe and used the whole head of shredded cabbage. Wonderful flavors and I'll definitely make it again. I'll probably use the extra cabbage again, too."
"I used one can of tomato sauce and a can of diced tomatoes, chopped the cabbage instead of shredding, omitted the dill, cayenne, and cheese. I added oregano, Worcestershire sauce, and a small amount of Frank's Hot Sauce. It was good and I'd make it again."
"Just a so so recipe. I won't make this version again."
"I make these the hard way by rolling up meat in cabbage. Will be trying this but will do the german version. Use saurkraut instead of tomato sauce or tomatoes."