- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium head cabbage (2 pounds), shredded
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in one can of tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in rice and bacon; heat through. Remove from heat.
- Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining cabbage. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cabbage Roll Casserole
Sort By :
"I wasn't sure about this recipe but decided to give it a try. It was really yummy and the only change I made was adding a can of diced tomatoes.i didn't find it bland at all but then we don't really like spicy food. Will definitely make this again."
"Excellent recipe. I used 1-1/2 times the spices and 1 t. salt."
"This looked and sounded great. My niece loved it. The other three people said it was ok and added hot salsa to it. I only made 1/2 recipe. We all love cabbage but it was totally lost to the eye as well as the taste. Maybe if it were cut into bite size pieces, instead of shredded."
"I have to try this!"
"Very good recipe. I made 1/2 recipe for the 2 of us and still have plenty of leftovers for another meal. I didn't quite have enough cabbage so used a bit of cauliflower to make up the difference. I used seasonings for a full batch and it still needs a bit more though. A very tasty, healthy meal."