Cabbage Patch Stew
"On a chilly day, a hearty helping of this recipe is a welcome treat when you come home in the evening," suggests Violet Beard of Marshall, Illinois.
14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 7 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until
- cabbage and carrots are tender. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with no-salt-added tomato sauce and reduced-sodium broth) equals 170 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 meat, 1 starch.