"On a chilly day, a hearty helping of this recipe is a welcome treat when you come home in the evening," suggests Violet Beard of Marshall, Illinois.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 7 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until cabbage and carrots are tender. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Cabbage Patch Stew in Taste of Home October/November 1999, p18
Reviews for Cabbage Patch Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review