Cabbage Patch Soup
My family is always glad to see this slightly sweet and mildly zippy soup as part of the menu. The cabbage is shredded, so the kids never notice it!Fran Strother, Wasilla, Alaska
4-6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Hot mashed potatoes, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown beef until no longer
- pink; drain. Add onion and celery; cook until tender. Stir in the
- water, beans, tomatoes, cabbage, chili powder and salt; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until
- cabbage is tender. Top each bowl with mashed potatoes if desired.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 180 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 476 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 14 g protein.