Cabbage Patch Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Hot mashed potatoes, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown beef until no longer pink; drain. Add onion and celery; cook until tender. Stir in the water, beans, tomatoes, cabbage, chili powder and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Top each bowl with mashed potatoes if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Cabbage Patch Soup(4)
Sort By :
This was a good recipe, however, I omitted the celery and used French's Chili-O seasoning packet instead of just chili powder. I thought it tasted wonderful, but the rest of the family didn't care for it. I loved all the cabbage in it!
Really liked this! It's definitely tangy tasting and a bit sour. Good though. The cabbage takes the place of noddles for less calories and is healthier for you. It does have a lot of cabbage in it though.
I liked the consistency, however, you might consider using replacing a cup of water with low-sodium beef broth to deepen the flavor, adding a clove of minced garlic during the browning process.
A very easy to make and excellent soup and good nutrition value...I usually double the recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cabbage Soup >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >