Cabbage Chicken Salad
"We were on a tight budget when I was little, so my mother often made this refreshing salad that fit our pocketbook as well as our taste buds," pens Heather Myrick from Southaven, Mississippi. Nicely priced at 48¢ a serving, it can be a light supper or a crunchy complement to sandwiches.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 package (3 ounces) chicken ramen noodles
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Set seasoning packet from noodles aside. Crumble the noodles into a
- large bowl; add the cabbage, chicken, onions and sesame seeds. In a
- jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, sugar, water,
- oil, salt, pepper and contents of seasoning packets; shake well.
- Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate
- for 8 hours or overnight. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 266 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 614 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a