Cabbage Beef Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 reduced-sodium beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown stew met; drain. Meanwhile, dissolve bouillon cubes in water; add to beef. Add onion, pepper and bay leaf. Cover; simmer 1-1/4 hours or until tender. Add potatoes, celery, cabbage and carrot.
- 2. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato sauce and seasoning blend. Simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes more. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1/8 recipe equals 272 calories, 10 g fat (0 saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 313 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 1-1/2 vegetable.