Cabbage Apple Slaw
Chopped apple adds fruity sweetness, color and crunch to the tangy cabbage in this flavorful slaw. It's a refreshing side dish anytime of the year. Mom stored apples and cabbage in the root cellar, so she fixed this dish frequently to feed our big family.Lucile H. Proctor, Panguitch, Utah
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 medium red apples, chopped
- 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Dash pepper
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage and apples. In a small bowl,
- combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over cabbage mixture and
- toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 3/4-cup serving equals 53 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 26 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.