Cabbage and Beef Soup Recipe
When I was a little girl, I help my parents work the fields of their small farm. Lunchtime was always a treat when Mother picked fresh vegetables from her garden and simmered them in her big soup pot. Nowadays, I grow most of those vegetables in my own garden. Not only is gardening enjoyable, it is an inexpensive way to make a delicious soup.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tomato can water
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients except parsley.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 3 quarts.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 116 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 582 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC