Cabbage & Meatballs Recipe
I think the dill pickles are the secret to this simple yet hearty recipe. When our children were small, they were not too fond of cabbage, but they loved this dish.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill pickle
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1. Place cabbage in a large saucepan; add tomato juice. Cover and simmer over low heat. Meanwhile, combine the egg, onion, chili powder, vinegar, pickle, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 2-in. balls. Add to cabbage mixture.
- 2. Cover and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 378 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 210 mg cholesterol, 1,148 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 39 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC