I think the dill pickles are the secret to this simple yet hearty recipe. When our children were small, they were not too fond of cabbage, but they loved this dish.
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill pickle
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Place cabbage in a large saucepan; add tomato juice. Cover and simmer over low heat. Meanwhile, combine the egg, onion, chili powder, vinegar, pickle, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 2-in. balls. Add to cabbage mixture.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Cabbage & Meatballs in Reminisce December/January 2011, p44
Reviews for Cabbage & Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review