- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill pickle
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Place cabbage in a large saucepan; add tomato juice. Cover and simmer over low heat. Meanwhile, combine the egg, onion, chili powder, vinegar, pickle, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 2-in. balls. Add to cabbage mixture.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Cabbage & Meatballs
"After reading the reviews, I did tweak this recipe and it came out wonderful! Instead of using tomato juice, I used spaghetti sauce. And, I made my own meatball recipe. I just couldn't imagine vinegar or pickles in my meatballs! LOL! Made some mashed potatoes to go with it and it was perfect!"
"Very tasteless. I had to add worcestershire and soy sauce. If you make this, add the worcestersire and soy sauce to the hamburger. Putting it in the sauce doesn't flavor the meat. I love cooked cabbage, but that's the only benefit. I think we'll slice the meatballs and add BBQ sauce on a sandwich maybe."
"Very good! I used vegetable juice instead of regular tomato juice to give it a little more kick! I will definitely be adding this to our menu."
"I added more sauce to the cabbage mixture after adding the meatballs, this will become a favorite, go to recipe for my husband and I!"