Buttons and Bows Recipe
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, 2 tablespoons sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Combine egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter; set centers aside for buttons.
- 3. For bows, twist each circle to form a figure eight; place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Place buttons on another greased baking sheet. Bake for 6-7 minutes.
Brush tops of buttons and bows with butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled biscuits in resealable plastic freezer bags, putting the bows in one bag and buttons in another. To use, place bows on one baking sheet and buttons on another. Heat in a preheated 350° oven 6-8 minutes for bows and 2-4 minutes for buttons or until heated through. Yield: 1 dozen buttons and bows.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 143 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 299 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Buttons and Bows
"These were delicious and my 6 year old grandaughter helped me make them on her birthday morning!. I only had white whole wheat flour and so, made my own biscuit mix with it using butter, baking powder, salt and a bit of sugar. She had fun brushing the warm donuts with the melted butter and rolling them in sugar. These have a texture like light scones, the flavor was very nice with freshly ground nutmeg!"
"These are delicious. Very much like a fluffy scone."