Buttons and Bows Recipe
Biscuit mix hurries along these nutmeg-spiced buttons and bowknots shared by Marcie Holladay of Irving, Texas. “This recipe remains a Saturday morning favorite at our house,” she says. Serve the sugar-coated treats with hot coffee for dunking.
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, 2 tablespoons sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Combine egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter; set centers aside for buttons.
- 3. For bows, twist each circle to form a figure eight; place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. Place buttons on another greased baking sheet. Bake for 6-7 minutes. Brush tops with butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen buttons and bows.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 143 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 299 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC