Buttons and Bows Recipe
Biscuit mix hurries along these nutmeg-spiced buttons and bowknots shared by Marcie Holladay of Irving, Texas. “This recipe remains a Saturday morning favorite at our house,” she says. Serve the sugar-coated treats with hot coffee for dunking.
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, 2 tablespoons sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Combine egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter; set centers aside for buttons.
- 3. For bows, twist each circle to form a figure eight; place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Place buttons on another greased baking sheet. Bake for 6-7 minutes.
Brush tops of buttons and bows with butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled biscuits in resealable plastic freezer bags, putting the bows in one bag and buttons in another. To use, place bows on one baking sheet and buttons on another. Heat in a preheated 350° oven 6-8 minutes for bows and 2-4 minutes for buttons or until heated through. Yield: 1 dozen buttons and bows.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 143 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 299 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Buttons and Bows
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC