Buttery Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Recipe
These whole grain rolls are tender and delicious even without toppings. I adapted the recipe from one my mom made after sampling something similar at a restaurant.—Angela Coffman, Kansas City, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 10 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 to 1 cup bread flour
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, milk powder, 2 tablespoons butter, egg, salt and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. In a shallow microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball; roll in melted butter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 16 rolls.
1 roll equals 120 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 187 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC