- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 to 1 cup bread flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, milk powder, 2 tablespoons butter, egg, salt and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a shallow microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball; roll in melted butter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 16 rolls.
Reviews for Buttery Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
Sort By :
I neglected to rate the recipe...to go along with my comment. 5 stars all the way!
I doubled the recipe, and added 2 Tablespoons of Vital Wheat Gluten with the flour. These had a delightful flavor, and were very light for a whole wheat roll. My family loves 'em!