Buttery Walnut Cutouts Recipe
Chopped walnuts add flavor and crunch to a typical butter cookie plus give them a pretty golden color.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:48 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and milk; stir until smooth. If desired, tint with food coloring. Spread and pipe glaze over cookies; place on waxed paper. Let stand until set. Yield: 4 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC