Buttery Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar
- Walnut halves or raisins, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with sugar; place a walnut or raisin in the center of each if desired.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 11-1/2 dozen.
2 each: 116 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Buttery Sugar Cookies
"Mine for some reason turned out absolutely HORRIBLE. I did double check with my family, and after going over the recipe again, did agree that we did follow the recipe to a "T". They tasted "floury" and we couldn't even use these in our cookie exchange. Would never make again."
"What are the ingredients for only 1 dozen?"
"I made these because we were snowed in and I happened to have all the ingredients. I was pleasantly surprised how buttery and moist they are! Will make these again."
"Many compliments received for these cookies- I made them for a Home school day at our state's Capitol, and they went over very well.The secret to rolling out the dough is to use one portion at a time and keeping the rest in the refrigerator.I made a confectioner's sugar glaze to go over the top, and cut them out with West Virginia state shaped cookie cutters. I made the glaze from confectioner's sugar and water."