- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar
- Walnut halves or raisins, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with sugar; place a walnut or raisin in the center of each if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 11-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Buttery Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
What are the ingredients for only 1 dozen?
I made these because we were snowed in and I happened to have all the ingredients. I was pleasantly surprised how buttery and moist they are! Will make these again.
Many compliments received for these cookies- I made them for a Home school day at our state's Capitol, and they went over very well.
The secret to rolling out the dough is to use one portion at a time and keeping the rest in the refrigerator.
I made a confectioner's sugar glaze to go over the top, and cut them out with West Virginia state shaped cookie cutters. I made the glaze from confectioner's sugar and water.