- 1 cup butter, melted
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 3 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups honey
- Brush a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan. In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, rhubarb, sugar and cinnamon.
- Layer five sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the nut mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut baklava into 1-1/2-in. diamond shapes. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. In a small saucepan, heat honey over low heat until thinned. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and let stand for several hours or overnight. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Buttery Rhubarb Baklava
"I am with chef_rachie. This is so fantastic!!! Don't change a thing, just make it according to directions. I do have a few little ideas though...what about peaches, apples, etc. I will have to try it some time but this recipe is really hard to beat!!!"
"I would make it over and over and over again. This is fantastic coming right out of the oven. Gooey and fantastic"