- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in oats and enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Let rest for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a 10-in. rope that is 1/2 in. thick. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Buttery Oatmeal Breadsticks in Best of Country Breads 2000, p102
Reviews for Buttery Oatmeal Breadsticks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review