Buttery Grilled Onions Recipe
Cooking on the grill is a year-round treat in the South. We use our grill for side dishes, like these onions, in addition to meats. This recipe usually doesn’t require a trip to the grocery store, and you can prepare the onions ahead of time.
- 6 medium onions, peeled
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 teaspoons sherry, optional
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Carefully remove a 1-in. x 1-in. core from the center of each onion (save removed onion for another use). Place each onion on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square).
- Combine the butter, bouillon, garlic powder and pepper; spoon into onions. Sprinkle with sherry if desired. Fold foil around onions and seal tightly.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Carefully unwrap foil to allow steam to escape. Sprinkle onions with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Buttery Grilled Onions in Country Extra July 2006, p49
Reviews for Buttery Grilled Onions(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review