Buttery Corn Muffins Recipe
- 2/3 cup self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and sugar. In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk, oil, vanilla and butter flavoring. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor’s Note: As a substitute for self-rising flour, place 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 2/3 cup.
1 muffin: 154 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 182mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.