- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar and salt; stir in 1 cup melted butter. Press onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake until light brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 325°.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first seven filling ingredients until blended; stir in 3 cups coconut. Pour over crust; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake until light golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Lifting with parchment paper, remove from pan. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Buttery Coconut Bars
"Made these today to share with friends but after my husband tasted he asked me not to give these away!"
"Oh how I loved these! I love coconut desserts and this one did not disappoint! I love anything that has sweetened condensed milk in it! I did a test run with it and will be taking it to my moms for Christmas this year!"
"I love coconut. This recipe gets one big YUM from me!"
"I brought these to work and have had many requests for more. They are wonderfully sweet, and just rich enough."
"Wow--these are divine! I made them for my coconut-loving husband to take to a meeting but after sampling one, I'm not sure I want to share!"
"I love anything coconut and this recipe caught my eye. I'm glad I made the bars! They are easy to put together and will be fantastic to serve at church or any family get together. I made no adjustments since I don't do that on the first time around. The only thing that I might do next time is drizzle them with chocolate but they certainly don't need any augmentation."
"My husband LOVED these and I used organic unsweetened coconut, otherwise followed this recipe to the "T"!!!"