Buttery Carrots 'n' Onions Recipe
My mother served this attractive side dish for all her special dinners, so I've been eating carrots this way since I was a child. Even my dinner guests who aren't too fond of carrots ask for this recipe. The added sweetness from the honey is a pleasant surprise. -Joanie Elbourn, Gardner, Massachusetts
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 medium onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Dash pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine carrots, 1/2 cup water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Set carrots aside and keep warm.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add flour; stir until blended. Stir in the salt, honey, sugar, pepper and reserved cooking liquid and remaining water; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in carrots; heat through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 64 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 361 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC