Buttery Carrots 'n' Onions Recipe
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 medium onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Dash pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine carrots, 1/2 cup water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Set carrots aside and keep warm.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add flour; stir until blended. Stir in the salt, honey, sugar, pepper and reserved cooking liquid and remaining water; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in carrots; heat through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 64 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 361 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Buttery Carrots 'n' Onions
"A piece of my youth just arrived in this recipe. Truly the best way to serve carrots. I didn't include the sugar or the honey when I made it. Just not necessary. And still this subtle and surprisingly sweet dish ... Maybe the onions? ... Hits the spot like only potatoes do. But the carrot are what pops. Thanks Mom Kloss for the wonderful carrots."