My mother made this recipe often when I was growing up. She got it from a friend who was a chef at a local restaurant my parents frequented. The onions really bring out the sweetness of the carrots. When I have carrots fresh from the garden, I don't even peel them, just scrub them well before cutting. For holiday buffets, I often double or triple this recipe —Mary Ellen Chambers, Lakewood, Ohio
Recommended: 25 Fast Spring Veggie Sides
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 pounds medium carrots, halved crosswise and cut into strips
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Place 2 in. of water in a 6-qt. stockpot. Add carrots and onions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until carrots are crisp-tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Drain vegetables. Toss with remaining ingredients. Yield: 12 servings. (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Buttery Carrots in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p159