- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 1 cup of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Dip the balls in butter and arrange evenly in a greased 9-in. fluted tube pan. Drizzle with remaining butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Buttery Bubble Bread
"I have not made this yet, and would like to know how many dough balls to make."
"A half a cup of sugar seems like a lot for this recipe. Is it sweet?"
"I add extra butter when pouring at the end, makes for great buttery flavor"
"I have not made this, but am wondering how it would be with whole wheat flour. Anyone know?"
"Easy to make and tasty."
"I love this recipe, perfect for Sunday morning !"
"Love this recipe, I've been making it for years! It is easy to halve and bake in a loaf pan. Also I only use 1/2-3/4 of the butter called for in the recipe. Delicious!"
"Nice texture, comes apart easily."