- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Red and green colored sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Combine egg and cream; gradually beat into crumb mixture until a ball forms. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Divide dough into three portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into an 8-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with colored sugar. Cut into 8-in.-long x 1/4-in.-wide strips. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; form into bows.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before carefully removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Buttery Bow Cookies
"The test kitchen has reviewed and retested this recipe to make the cookies sweeter. We added 1 cup of confectioners' sugar to the flour mixture and feel people will be pleased with the result. The correction will be made here soon.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
"These cookies are terrible!!! With no sugar in the dough they aren't sweet at all! I wouldn't recommend this to anybody!"
"Looks pretty, but extremely bland. Definitely will not waste butter, egg and whipping cream again."
"I wish I could gie a negative star rating. Terrible cookies. No sugar in the dough! That was the problem. My husband advised me to throw them in the trash. What a waste."
"wish I had read reviews before I wasted 1 cup of butter!"
"From now on I will read the reviews before I try a new recipe. This is the worst Christmas cookie I ever made and tasted. It is like eating plain piecrust-Should have known when there was no sugar in the dough. The dough was difficult to handle, kept breaking and the bow was not easy to make. Threw out the whole recipe! The should be taken off the Christmas cookie list!"
"awful cookies... no taste whatsoever. I threw out remaining dough and cookies. My husband even spit them out. I hate to be so negative but these are not passable. Sorry"
"this baked and tasted like a pie crust. Are there steps and ingredients missing? Can't use these for what I intended and must find something else to make."
"This recipe almost seems like it is missing something. These do not have any sweet taste and there are no hints on how to make the bows"
"I had to add a little more liquid to the recipe to make the dough more pliable to shape the bows. They are not sweet at all except for the sugar on top although I would call them "rich" because of the cream. Definitely a cookie for tea or coffee. Too much work for not enough flavor so I will not make again."