Buttery Apple Biscuits Recipe
What better way to start the day than with warm biscuits filled with apple and the homey sweetness of molasses? Make a double batch and freeze half for a sensible snack. —Athena Russell, Florence, South Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, milk and molasses; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Stir in apple. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- 2. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 6 biscuits.
1 biscuit equals 149 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC