Butterscotch Torte Recipe
It's best to make the graham cracker cake for this torte the day before, because the flavor improves as it mellows. The recipe makes plenty of yummy butterscotch sauce, so you can drizzle some over the top and have extra to serve on the side. —Lavonne Hartel Williston. North Dakota
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. Line three greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the vanilla. Combine the cracker crumbs, nuts and baking powder; fold into egg yolk mixture.
- 3. In another bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 5. For topping, in a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, flour and salt. Stir in orange juice and water until smooth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- 6. In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Beat in confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form.
- 7. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the whipped cream. Repeat layers twice. Drizzle some of the topping over cake. Serve remaining topping with cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 519 calories, 29g fat (13g saturated fat), 189mg cholesterol, 228mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Butterscotch Torte
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC