- 6 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Line three greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the vanilla. Combine the cracker crumbs, nuts and baking powder; fold into egg yolk mixture.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For topping, in a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, flour and salt. Stir in orange juice and water until smooth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Beat in confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the whipped cream. Repeat layers twice. Drizzle some of the topping over cake. Serve remaining topping with cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Butterscotch Torte in Taste of Home April/May 2001, p31
Reviews for Butterscotch Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review