Butterscotch Swirl Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 3/4 cup butterscotch ice cream topping
- BUTTERSCOTCH GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 5 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extracts. Combine flour, baking soda and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Transfer 2 cups of batter to another large bowl; beat in pudding mix, butterscotch topping and remaining egg until well blended. Pour half of the plain batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Top with half of the butterscotch batter; cut through with a knife to swirl. Repeat layers and swirl.
- 3. Bake 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; add confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy. Drizzle over cake; sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 650 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 171mg cholesterol, 573mg sodium, 94g carbohydrate (67g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Butterscotch Swirl Cake
"I was disappointed in the strength of the butterscotch flavor. I am a butterscotch lover, and this cake didn't do much for me. It did bake up beautifully; however, it is not a recipe I will keep for the future."
"Nice colorful swirls in this cake... the icing is super yummy. Consistency of the cake is firm, but moist... tastes good."
"Lovely cake---butterscotch is one of my favorites, in any of its forms. When I showed it to the family, everyone said "Wow!" The icing is perfect for the cake."
"I was disappointed that when you slice the cake it comes apart in two pieces where the swirl layer is on the cake. The frosting was delicious and will use it on other cake recipes."
"this cake is wonderful. I did not have any butterscotch topping on hand the first time I made this but used milky way ice cream topping and vanilla pudding instead. I liked it even better than when I made it again with the butterscotch flavor as suggested in the recipe. Also I just topped it with powdered sugar. Definitely a recipe I will use again and again."
"Love this cake .."
"This cake is delicious; it's requested a lot in our house now. It IS impressive looking."