Butterscotch lovers will go crazy for these cookie-jar classics. The brickle toffee bits in the filling are a deliciously fun surprise. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Featured In: Tailgating Desserts
- 3 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brickle toffee bits
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten cookies with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake 5-7 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, milk, butter and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage). Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl; beat in confectioners' sugar, cream and vanilla until mixture reaches spreading consistency. Stir in toffee bits. Carefully spread on bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Originally published as Butterscotch Sandwich Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p44
Reviews for Butterscotch Sandwich Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review