These fast and easy cookies are unlike any others I've eaten. They're irresistibly rich and always draw "oohs", "aahs" and requests for the recipe after the very first bite!
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 3 egg white
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Beat in egg yolks, water and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with butterscotch chips and pat lightly.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually add brown sugar, beating well. Spread over chips. Sprinkle with walnuts and gently press into meringue. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Butterscotch Meringue Bars in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2003, p43
Reviews for Butterscotch Meringue Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review