Butterscotch Meringue Bars Recipe
These fast and easy cookies are unlike any others I've eaten. They're irresistibly rich and always draw "oohs", "aahs" and requests for the recipe after the very first bite!
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 3 egg white
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Beat in egg yolks, water and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with butterscotch chips and pat lightly.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually add brown sugar, beating well. Spread over chips. Sprinkle with walnuts and gently press into meringue. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Butterscotch Meringue Bars in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2003, p43
Reviews for Butterscotch Meringue Bars(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review