Butterscotch Hard Candy
I love making this classic butterscotch recipe. We think these irresistible bites are better than the store-bought variety... and they sure don't last long! —Darlene Smithers, Elkhart, Indiana
30 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 1 teaspoon butter; set
- aside. Cube remaining butter and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup. Cover
- and bring to a boil over medium heat without stirring. Cook,
- uncovered, until a candy thermometer reads 270° (soft-crack
- stage). Add the honey, salt and remaining butter; stir constantly
- until the mixture reaches 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the rum extract. Pour into prepared pan
- without scraping; do not spread. Cool for 1-2 minutes or until the
- candy is almost set. Score into 1-in. squares; cool completely.
- Break squares apart. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1-1/2
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 144 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 109 mg sodium,