Butterscotch Eggnog Stars Recipe
These yellow star-shaped cookies with a "stained-glass" center are almost too pretty to eat! But they have a rich eggnog flavor that is irresistible. Although they take a little time and patience to prepare, they're worth every minute! —Cheryl Hemmer, Swansea, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup eggnog
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup crushed hard butterscotch candies
- OPTIONAL ICING:
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons eggnog
- Yellow colored sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and eggnog. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion at a time to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. star cutter. Cut out centers with a 1-1/2-in. star cutter. Line baking sheets with foil; grease foil.
- 3. Place large star cutouts on prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon candy in center of each. Repeat with remaining dough; reroll small cutouts if desired.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Carefully slide foil and cookies form baking sheets onto wire racks to cool.
- 5. For icing if desired, beat confectioners' sugar, rum extract and enough eggnog to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cooled cookies if desired. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Let stand until hardened. Yield: about 3 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC