Butterscotch Crescents Recipe
When I was first married, I'd try all kinds of recipes to impress my husband. These crescents were such a hit I still make them!
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk, divided
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) cook-and-serve butterscotch pudding mix
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water, optional
- 1. Set aside 2 tablespoons evaporated milk for frosting. In a saucepan, combine pudding mix and remaining evaporated milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Beat in eggs, salt, 2 cups flour and pudding mixture until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down and divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 15-in. circle. Combine filling ingredients; spread 1/2 cupful over each circle. Cut each into 12 wedges; roll each into a crescent shape, starting with the wide end. Place point side down on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- 6. For frosting, combine brown sugar, butter and reserved evaporated milk in a saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add water if needed to achieve desired consistency. Frost crescents. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 180 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 210 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC