These cookies store well for about 2 weeks in an airtight container. So when you have some time to spare, make a batch and enjoy them for days to come.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in almonds.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into dough. Shape into four 9-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap dough; cut into 1/8- to 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 12 dozen.
Originally published as Butterscotch Bonanza Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p92
Reviews for Butterscotch Bonanza Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2010
"Dough extremely crumbly and hard to work with, but a tasty cookie and the recipe makes a LOT!"