Butterscotch Basketball Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Paste food coloring
- In a microwave, melt butterscotch chips; cool for 10 minutes. In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add egg, milk and vanilla; mix well. Beat in melted chips. Gradually add flour; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-1/2-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter and a 3-in. round cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 5-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine shortening, water, flour and vanilla in a bowl; mix well. Gradually beat in sugar. Place 1 cup frosting in a plastic bag; cut a small hole in corner of bag. Pipe shirt and shorts on players. Fill in outline and smooth with a metal spatula. Tint 1/4 cup frosting black; place in a plastic bag. Pipe lines on round cookies to create basketballs; pipe hair, eyes and noses on players. Tint 1/4 cup frosting red; pipe a mouth on each player. Tint remaining frosting to match team colors of your choice; pipe around shirts and shorts and add a letter on shirts if desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Butterscotch Basketball Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 1999, p37
Reviews for Butterscotch Basketball Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 25, 2011
These are so cute! Go Wildcats!
Reviewed Mar. 15, 2009
I love basketball i average about 20 points a game!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Kids Desserts >
- Super Bowl Party Desserts >
- Super Bowl Party Recipes >