Most folks are surprised to learn that banana is the secret ingredient in these soft cookies. My grandmother shared the recipe with me some 30 years ago, and I've relied on it ever since.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped dates
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Beat in bananas. Stir in the oats, pecans, butterscotch chips and dates.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 11 dozen.
Originally published as Butterscotch Banana Drops in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p107
Reviews for Butterscotch Banana Drops
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review