Butter and brown sugar combine to create this yummy sauce that's terrific served warm over cake or ice cream. "This is a family favorite," says Carol Haugen of Fargo, North Dakota. "And it keeps well in a tightly covered jar in the fridge."
Recommended: 30 Desserts Ready in 30 Minutes
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- One portion chocolate cake (7-1/2-inch x 5-inch rectangle) from the Delicate Chocolate Cake, cut into four pieces
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens slightly and a thermometer reads 180°, about 20 minutes.
- Place cake on serving plates; cover with bananas. Top with warm butterscotch sauce. Sauce may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, heat in the microwave until simmering; whisk before serving. Yield: 4 servings (about 1 cup sauce).
Originally published as Butterscotch Banana Dessert in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p43
Reviews for Butterscotch Banana Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review