Butternut Turkey Soup
Although hearty with lots of nutritious vegetables and turkey, this soup is also light and luscious. —Denise LaRoche, Hudson, New Hampshire
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (3/4-inch cubes)
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook shallots in oil
- over medium heat until tender. Stir in the broth, squash, potatoes,
- water, thyme and pepper.
- Place cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners
- of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Stir into soup. Bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender. Stir in turkey; heat through. Discard spice
- bag. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 192 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,