Butternut Squash with Whole Grains Recipe
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup uncooked whole grain brown and red rice blend
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1. In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in broth.
- 2. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until grains are tender. Stir in spinach before serving. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 97 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 252 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Butternut Squash with Whole Grains
"Tried this using just brown rice and it came out very bland. Also, when mixing the ingredients, some of the rice sits on the cubed squash never reaching the liquid. This left a lot of hard pieces of rice throughout the dish. It looks so pretty. Was hoping it would have come out better."