Fresh thyme really shines in this hearty slow-cooked side dish featuring tender butternut squash, nutritious whole grain pilaf and vitamin-packed baby spinach. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup uncooked whole grain brown and red rice blend
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in broth.
- Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until grains are tender. Stir in spinach before serving. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Butternut Squash with Whole Grain Pilaf in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p22
Reviews for Butternut Squash with Whole Grains
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review