Butternut Squash with Whole Grain Pilaf Recipe
Fresh thyme really shines in this hearty slow-cooked side dish featuring tender butternut squash, nutritious whole grain pilaf and vitamin-packed baby spinach. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup Kashi whole grain pilaf
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1. Place pilaf in a 4-qt slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the squash, broth, onion, water, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until pilaf is tender, adding spinach during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 97 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 280 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC