Butternut Squash Soup with Cinnamon Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Transfer to a 5-or 6-quart slow cooker; add squash. Combine the broth, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon; pour over squash. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until squash is tender.
- 2. Cool slightly. Discard cinnamon stick. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to slow cooker. Whisk in cream cheese; cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 14 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
3/4 cup equals 135 calories, 7 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 483 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Soup with Cinnamon
"Really really delicious. I have also done this with no cream cheese and it tastes like the soup at a national restaurant chain. If you have an immersion blender, you can really achieve that same silken texture! My nickname is "Spilly" so the immersion blender works better for me than pouring into a blender for pureeing. This recipe is a keeper, thanks for sharing!!"
"Fantastic. Very easy, very good. I want to use it as a sauce for broccoli, cauliflower.. maybe even as a nacho dip."
"This was my first time making butternut squash soup. This recipe was sooooo easy and delicious. I used chicken stock because that is what I had on hand. I also sprinkled in somenutmeg. I did not have any cream cheese so I put in a big splash of heavy cream. Also my firsttime using an immersion blender. Definitely need more practice with that, but it worked great!"
"My family loves this soup, nice served with chopped cilantro."
"The perfect soup for fall/winter. I did not add the cream cheese because I did not want the extra calories - absolutely delicious w/out it and VERY easy and fast to make! I doubled it so I can eat on it all week - YUM!!!"
"Made this soup and forgot to put the cream cheese in--will make it again and again without the cream cheese most of the time. The spices are so subtle, not overwhelming...delicious!"
"This is my "go to" squash soup recipe. I cook the squash in the micro & I carmelize the onions in EVOO & butter--the cream cheese is what brings the flavors all together!!!"