Butternut Squash Rolls
With their cheery yellow color and delicious aroma, these appealing buns will brighten your buffet table, according to Bernice Morris of Marshfield, Missouri. "Plus," she details, "I've found this recipe is a great way to use up squash from the garden.Bernice Morris, Marshfield, Missouri
24 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk and water. Add the butter,
- salt, sugar, squash and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough
- remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Form into rolls; place in two greased 10-in.
- cast-iron skillets or 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise
- until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Yield: 2 dozen.