Butternut Squash Risotto Recipe
- 8 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 cup lager
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, combine the squash, 2 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- 2. In a large saucepan, heat broth and water; keep warm. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in lager. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- 3. Add heated broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.) Add the butter, chili pepper, nutmeg and squash; cook and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1.333 cups equals 535 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 1,065 mg sodium, 84 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Reviews for Butternut Squash Risotto
"I am new to making risotto. We love it and love butternut squash so I gave this recipe a try. It was delicious!! The lager really added flavor. I have two more butternut squash to use this coming winter. I am sure one will be used for this recipe"
"Delicious. The lager beer really made this dish. Served it with Maple-Glazed Ribs (taste of home recipe also)"
"This was so amazing and I didn't change a thing and will make it again and again!"
"I love butternut squash and I followed this recipe exactly... but I didn't like this at all. I kept trying to figure out what it was missing -- salt? sugar? less nutmeg? It also took about twice as long to make as the recipe said it would. Too much work for a strange tasting dish."
"Made this today, used homemade chicken broth. It was wonderful! I thought I was mainly making it for myself, but even my not-so-fond-of-squash kids thought it was good! It did take a bit longer to make than the stated times."
"I messed this up while making it and it still came out delish! My family is just getting into butternut squash and we loved it."